The Word Monster Part 1

A York University President's Prize Winning Script.

So, as I mentioned, I'm a screenwriting major. This, predictably, has required me to write a few scripts. I've decided to post some of my favourites as they're a shorter read than, oh, say the graphic novel I'm posting. Though as an in-joke, I do reference it in the script.

This script I consider one of the best I've ever written. "The Word Monster" was the first script I wrote where I was allowed to go wild. There were no rules beyond the obvious "don't write anything that's bad and offensive" and the limit of 15 pages. I'd had the idea of a girl who had written a monster made of words kicking around for a long while, ever since I saw Disney's Coco and wondered why all the animated children's films about being artistic are about musicians. 

That's a rule I write by. If something disappoints you, write the version of it you wanted.

So when we were given almost unlimited freedom to write, that's the idea I ran with. It was a bit of gamble for me as everything I had produced for school so far had been aimed at adults and this was basically going to be a Pixar short. But at that time, I found out that's the kind of thing I wanted to write more than anything (which is a whole other story I might tell someday). This was my first chance to write that.

Luckily for me, my professor is pretty great and gave me a really good grade. I feel like not everyone in my artsy film department would have been cool with someone trying to pursue mass-market animation. Snobs.

But not only was it an academic success, but this script also won a pretty prominent writing prize at my university this last year. They even gave me money for it. So I'm a bit extra proud of it.

Anyways, here's the first part for you to enjoy, in all it's sweet but short glory.

         The Word Monster

          INT. JOEL’S BEDROOM - NIGHT                                   
                                                                           
          JOEL (11) heaves a pile of paper onto his desk and sits          
          down. The room is filled with boxes, half unpacked. He           
          writes the words "A story by Joel" at the top.He takes a         
          deep breath and begins writing, saying the words as he           
          writes them down with a look of great concentration.             
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    This is the story of a... dragon...                    
                    who...                                                 
                                                                           
          Joel puts down his pencil and stares at the paper for a          
          moment. He crumples it up and begins to write again.             
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    This is the story of... a pirate-                      
                                                                           
          Joel is now writing on a new paper with the words "This is       
          the story of" written down on it. A couple of crumpled           
          pieces of paper sit on the desk.                                 
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    -a princess from space.                                
                                                                           
          Joel writes on a new paper with the words "This is the story     
          of". There are now 4 pieces of crumpled paper.                   
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    -two villains, a robot, and a brain                    
                                                                           
                    in a jar.                                              
                                                                           
          Joel writes on a new paper with the words "This is the           
          storyof". There are now 7 pieces of crumpled paper.              
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    -the greatest discovery ever made                      
                                                                           
                    in the entire universe.                                
                                                                           
          Joel groans and lets his head fall down onto a blank paper       
          among the 13 crumpled papers now on his desk. He looks up at     
          a flyer taped onto the wall in front of his desk.                
                                                                           
          INSERT FLYER:                                                    
                                                                           
          It is an advertisement for a creative writing contest for        
          kids held by the local library. The winner gets to read          
          their story at a public ceremony. Joel sits up, takes            
          another deep breath, and starts to write.                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    This is the story of... a monster.                     
                                                                           
          Outside of Joel’s bedroom window, the house next door can be     
          seen. It is tall, a bit dilapidated, and cast in shadow from     
          the towering trees surrounding it. Suddenly, a huge              
          monstrous shadow darts across the roof.                          
                                                                           
          Joel notices it from the corner of his eye and looks over.He     
          gets up, walks to his window, and peers out, eyes wide.          
                                                                           
          Nothing happens.                                                 
                                                                           
          He turns back to his desk, crumples up his paper, sighs, and     
          leaves the room.                                                 
                                                                           
                                                                           
          EXT. JOEL’S HOUSE - DAY                                          
                                                                           
          Joel stands at the edge of the front lawn of his house           
          checking the mailbox. A "For Sale" sign with a large "Sold"      
          sticker plastered over it stands on the lawn.                    
                                                                           
                              KID 1 (O.S.)                                 
                    You’re either brave or stupid.                         
                                                                           
          Joel spins around to find three kids his age on bikes            
          stopped just behind him.                                         
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    What?                                                  
                                                                           
                              KID 1                                        
                    Ha, I guess you’re stupid. You’d                       
                    have to be to move in next to her.                     
                                                                           
          The kid points to the house next door.                           
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    Why? Who lives there?                                  
                                                                           
                              KID 1                                        
                    Agatha.                                                
                                                                           
                              KID 2                                        
                    She hasn’t left the house in years.                    
                    They say that one day, she went                        
                    crazy and killed her parents.                          
                                                                           
                              KID 3                                        
                    Sometimes, in the middle of the                        
                    night, you can still hear them                         
                    screaming.  
          Kid 2 screams. Joel jumps at the sound.                          
                                                                           
                              KID 1                                        
                    Why do you think the people that                       
                    used to live here moved away?                          
                                                                           
          The kids take off on their bikes, laughing as they go.           
                                                                           
                              KID 1                                        
                    I guess we won’t see you later!                        
                                                                           
          Joel looks next door at the window across from his. It’s         
          cracked open and the curtains waver in the breeze.               
                                                                           
                                                                           
          INT. JOEL’S BEDROOM - NIGHT                                      
                                                                           
          As Joel walks past his desk, his paper with "This is the         
          story of a monster." written on it catches his eye and he        
          stops. He picks it up and looks to the house next door.          
                                                                           
          He grabs a pair of binoculars from a box, drags his chair        
          over to the window, sits, and watches the roof through the       
          binoculars.                                                      
                                                                           
          Nothing is there.                                                
                                                                           
          Time passes and Joel falls asleep.                               
                                                                           
                                                                           
          INT. JOEL’S BEDROOM - DAY                                        
                                                                           
          A loud crash suddenly awakens Joel. He looks around              
          frantically, grabs his binoculars, and looks at the house.       
          In the backyard by a couple of knocked over trash cans, the      
          same monstrous shadow darts into an open backdoor. Joel          
          scrambles out of the room.                                       
                                                                           
                                                                           
          EXT. AGATHA’S HOUSE - DAY                                        
                                                                           
          Joel knocks on the front door, rapidly and nonstop. He looks     
          towards the backyard. Suddenly the door swings open and          
          reveals AGATHA (11) standing there with a scowl on her face.     
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    What do you want?                                      
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    You need to get out! I know it                         
                    sounds crazy, but I just saw a                         
                    monster go into your house!                            
                                                                           
          Agatha doesn’t react.
                              AGATHA                                       
                    Yeah, I know.                                          
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    What?                                                  
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    I said I know. It’s mine.                              
                                                                           
          THE MONSTER moves from the shadows to in behind Agatha. He’s     
          about 6ft tall and made literally of words and sentences,        
          the black print making up his monstrous form. Joel looks up      
          at him and unconsciously takes a few steps back.                 
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    W-what...                                              
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    I’m Agatha. I’m a writer. I wrote                      
                    him.                                                   
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    Cool.                                                  
                                                                           
          Joel’s attention snaps back to Agatha.                           
                                                                           
                              JOEL (CONT’D)                                
                    Did you say you were a writer?                         
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    Yes, not that you know would                           
                    anything about writing.                                
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    Actually, I’m writing a story for                      
                    a contest.                                              
                                                                           
          Agatha crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow.                   
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    Really?                                                
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    Yeah, but... I don’t have any good                     
                    ideas.                                                 
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    Writing isn’t for amateurs.                            
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    But if you’re a writer, maybe you                      
                    can help me. We could write a story                    
                    together! 
                              AGATHA                                       
                    And why would I do that?                               
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    The winner gets to read their story                    
                    at a ceremony at the library and                       
                    ...I know what the other kids say                      
                    about you.                                             
                                                                           
          Agatha looks away from him.                                      
                                                                           
                              JOEL (CONT’D)                                
                    But if you won then maybe people                       
                    wouldn’t believe them.                                 
                                                                           
          Agatha only glares at him and balls up her fists.                
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    ...Well, I’ll see you later I                          
                    guess.                                                 
                                                                           
          Joel turns and starts to walk away. Agatha calls after him.      
                                                                           
                              AGATHA                                       
                    Fine. Tomorrow. And we’re writing                      
                    it my way.                                             
                                                                           
          Joel turns back, smiling, and offers her a handshake.            
                                                                           
                              JOEL                                         
                    I’m Joel, by the way.                                  
                                                                           
          She slams the door on him.     

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Word Monster Part 2

Villainous Villains Part 5

Villainous Villains Part 4